Linezolid IV, Oral
May be used for the following indications:
- Staphylococcal pneumonia (e.g. post influenza infection) in patients with penicillin allergy.
- For MRSA infections post-vascular surgery where an oral option is necessary.
Otherwise, only on the advice of a Medical Microbiologist or Infection Specialist for:
- Restricted indications including infections due to proven glycopeptide-insensitive Staphylococcus aureus (GISA) or vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE) (currently uncommon).
- Enabling IV/oral switch from IV vancomycin to oral linezolid (when patient discharge is possible and continuation treatment using combination, e.g. rifampicin/trimethoprim is inappropriate).
- Poor IV access and a glycopeptide is indicated.
- Use in out-patient antibiotic therapy for skin and soft tissue infections as an alternative to IV teicoplanin.
- Rare cases of (proven) hypersensitivity/allergy to the glycopeptides.
For all other indications contact the duty Medical Microbiologist.
Not licensed for use in children.