Clindamycin IV, Oral
May be used for the following indications:
- Oral switch in osteomyelitis in patients allergic to penicillin.
- Diabetic foot infection as per the Scottish Diabetes Foot Action Group guideline (endorsed by SAPG).
- Necrotising fasciitis or severe or rapidly progressing skin infection in an intravenous drug user.
- Surgical prophylaxis where specified in the departmental guideline.
- Second-line oral/IV option for patients with lymphoedema unresponsive to first-line therapy or penicillin allergic.
- Second-line for appendicitis, peritonitis, penetrating abdominal trauma, pilonidal abscess, perianal abscess, acute osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, acute discitis, deep myositis, orbital cellulitis, pre-septal cellulitis, quinsy, cellulitis, post-operative wound infections for children and infants with penicillin allergy.
- Toxic shock syndrome in children and infants.
Only on the advice of a Medical Microbiologist, Infection Specialist or Maxillofacial Surgeon for:
- Patients with deep dental/facial/neck abscesses who are penicillin allergic or unresponsive to first-line therapy.
Treatment may be initiated in primary care.
For all other indications, contact the duty Medical Microbiologist.