Central line infection
Coagulase-negative Staphylococcus spp, Staphylococcus aureus
Duration according to specialist advice
- Take peripheral and central line cultures before starting empirical antibiotics.
- If line is removed, send tip for culture.
- If Staph. aureus is isolated in the blood, the line should be removed and a minimum of 14 days of appropriate antibiotics given – refer to Staph.aureus (SAB) algorithm.
- [Locking lines with antibiotics is not generally recommended – contact microbiology for advice]
Remove or replace catheter wherever possible.
Vancomycin IV as per guideline
- given via the infected line if not possible to remove the catheter
[NB: For Haematology/Oncology patients refer to specific local guidance]